Sunday, 27 January 2013

We now come to the last speaker of the day and, in my opinion, the best by far. Erik Kessels is a Dutch designer and has done some of the most inspiring design work around in the last two decades. I found his presentation so involving that I took a photo of pretty much every slide, so over the next few posts I will try to explain the things I liked the most. He started off showing us different ways of viewing things, the first (pink) image here showing a shape and above it is written 'This is a)broken letter H b)and upside-down chair c) a number four'. I think this gave us a slight insight into the way the he addresses everything, always seeing how else it could be interpreted. On a side note, Kessels is also responsible for the I Amsterdam, which has become a huge tourist attraction for not just Amsterdam but the whole of Holland and the Netherlands. His work has always been very provocative and controversial, seen here in the image of the concrete statue he made of an athlete (as he said) 'pissing in stream', next to a football field and sports complex. Or again in the images of the plates he created for The Royal Wedding that simply say 'Thanks for the day off' and 'It should have been me' both very controversial, but in quite a light hearted way. I think his style of work is very amusing as it challenges you to view things from a different perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment