He found the images for his collections in many different ways, sometimes through the internet or other media sometimes he bought photo albums and undeveloped film at flea markets, or gathered all the images that had been abandoned at photo developing shops. Another of his collections features a family's attempt at trying to photograph their black dog, I found this particularly amusing because of the same difficulties I have had with taking photos of mine. He made a whole book of photos of this dog, where it looks like nothing more than a black smear on the image. Another of the weird and wonderful things he found was a strange relationship between a couple where the man would photograph his wife stood in a variety of different water features. It went on for their whole life and the images prove really entertaining. In 2002, when Holland didn't qualify for the world cup, Kessels did some research and discovered that there were two teams that had never won an official international match of football. So he arranged with FIFA to fly the Bhutan National team to the other side of the world to Montserrat to play in a game of football that coincided with the same time as the final of the world cup. It is these fascinating alternative things Kessels has devoted his life to that really inspired me, as well as amused me, and has made me realise that there are so many different solutions to a single problem, you only have to look at them in the right way. I think the amount of excitement and inspiration I have gained from Erik Kessels has told me that I have an avid interest in advertising and think I will taint the outcome and direction of this project towards advertising.

No comments:
Post a Comment